Board of Directors
- Ray Cornell, President
- Tim McLaughlin, Vice President
- Jack McLaughin, 2nd Vice President
- Brenda Gordan, 3rd Vice President
- Steve Spruill, Treasurer
- Bryan Gordan, Secretary
- Michelle Jamieson
- Margo Taylor
- Russ Paxton
- Kay Royal
- Beverly Vanderhoef, Immediate past President
History of the Toccoa Lions
On May 24, 1933, within the first 100 days of the administration of the newly inaugurated President, Franklin D. Roosevelt, a group of Toccoa citizens met at Abermarle Hotel, to grapple with local problems. They proposed forming a Lions Club, with its motto, "We Serve." Dr. J.C. Rogers, president of Piedmont College, spoke at the charter night program, June 12, 1933.
From that night, Toccoa Lions promoted numerous projects for the Toccoa community. They advocated completion of Highway 17, posting U.S. outdoor mailboxes, and establishing a Civilian Conservation Corps camp at Toccoa. They encouraged developing the Country Club and Golf Course, creating the Henderson Falls Park, extending the Chattahoochee National Park into Stephens County, and erecting a Lions fountain in the City Park opposite Toccoa Clinic.
History of Lions Club International
In 1917, Melvin Jones, a 38-year-old Chicago business leader, told members of his local business club they should reach beyond business issues and address the betterment of their communities and the world. Jones' group, the Business Circle of Chicago, agreed. After contacting similar groups around the United States, an organizational meeting was held on June 7, 1917, in Chicago, Illinois, USA. The new group took the name of one of the invited groups, the "Association of Lions Clubs," and a national convention was held in Dallas, Texas, USA in October of that year.