The History of The Toccoa Lions Club
On May 24, 1933, within the first 100 days of the administration of the newly inaugurated President, Franklin D. Roosevelt, a group of Toccoa citizens met at Abermarle Hotel, to grapple with local problems. They proposed forming a Lions Club, with its motto, "We Serve." Dr. J.C. Rogers, president of Piedmont College, spoke at the charter night program, June 12, 1933.
Subsequently Toccoa Lions promoted numerous projects for the Toccoa community. They advocated completion of Highway 17, posting U.S. outdoor mailboxes, and establishing a Civilian Conservation Corps camp at Toccoa. They encouraged developing the Country Club and Golf Course, creating the Henderson Falls Park, extending the Chattahoochee National Park into Stephens County, and erecting a Lions fountain in the City Park opposite Toccoa Clinic.
Toccoa Lions promote recreational projects, supporting a Little League Baseball team, and have held softball tournaments. With other clubs and businesses they co-sponsor the Top Five Banquet to recognize the Top Five percent scholastically of Stephens County High School graduates. At Stephens County Middle School they sponsor the Lions Peace Poster Contest. They provide Christmas gifts for the needy. They send two youths annually to the U.S. Soil Conservation workshop at Abraham-Baldwin Agricultural College. In December they have "Rung the Bell" for the Salvation Army. Lions give free eye screening at the annual Toccoa Harvest Festivals, free eye examinations and eyeglasses monthly, and through the Georgia Lions Lighthouse recycle used eyeglasses and provide free eye surgery and telescopic lens glasses.
With other clubs, Toccoa Lions support the Georgia Lions Camp for the Blind, Georgia Lions Lighthouse, Leader Dog Program for the Blind, Recordings for the Blind, and the Lions Clubs International Foundation that provides emergency grants.